Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Wednesday, March 25, 2020
As we continue to monitor the ongoing pandemic, we have determined that it is in the best interest of our families, schools, and user groups to cancel all Outdoor Education and C.Y.O. Crusader Athletics programs until Monday, June 1st, 2020. This includes the cancellation of all C.Y.O. Crusader Athletics Boys’ Volleyball (regular season & playoffs), as well as our spring Cross Country Meet.
Please note that this decision was not made lightly or easily, but placing the utmost importance on safety for our staff, participants, and their families.
The C.Y.O. is constantly keeping Public Health and Government recommendations top of mind and will update you with further information as we learn more about this virus. We are all looking forward to the day that we will see your smiling faces again!
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Friday, March 13, 2020
At the C.Y.O., the health and well-being of the children we serve is at the forefront of our mission. Out of an abundance of caution, and following the lead of the Ministry of Education and various public health officials, we have decided to cancel all C.Y.O. programs and events for the next three weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, our March Break camps at both Marydale Park and Camp Brébeuf are cancelled. All Outdoor Education and C.Y.O. Crusader Athletics events scheduled between Monday, March 16, 2020 and Sunday, April 5,2020 are cancelled. At this time we plan to resume all OE programming at Camp Brébeuf and Marydale Park on Monday, April 6, 2020. Further notice on the continuation of the Crusader Athletics Program will be communicated on or before Monday, April 6, 2020.
We will be in close, ongoing contact with families, schools, and user groups effected by these difficult decisions. We are grateful for the integral role that our agency plays in the life of our community, and we know that this may be a difficult time for many whom we serve. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to resuming services when we have a deeper understanding of the current situation.
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update - Thursday, March 12, 2020
As you know, the World Health Organization has declared a pandemic with respect to the COVID-19. The Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O.) in consultation with Hamilton Public Health Services (PHS) are taking steps to respond to the COVID-19 virus as it evolves.
To help prevent the spread of all types of respiratory illnesses, including influenza, Public Health recommends:
- A yearly influenza vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies (for flu only);
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based sanitizer;
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze;
- Avoid touching your face, eyes or mouth;
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm; and,
- If you or your family members are ill, stay home.
The Catholic Youth Organization’s website (www.cyo.on.ca) contains up-to-date information regarding program and services affected by the COVID-19.
Part of the agency’s plan at this stage includes to:
- Monitor public health authorities’ websites (local, provincial and national public health) for reliable information on the virus, the local status of the virus, and measures to keep yourself and others safe
- Connect with local health authorities for more information on pandemic planning, and update any agency pandemic or disaster plans and policies accordingly
- Emphasizing systematic hand-washing as the most effective method for prevention as directed by public health officials
Should the outlook become much more severe, and if we begin seeing systematic absenteeism within the programs and services that we offer, we may need to reassess. If the matter reaches a stage where agency volunteers/staffing is depleted and essential services are compromised, we may need to suspend programs and services.
C.Y.O. staff have increased its cleaning and sterilization procedures. There has been an increased focus on the cleaning of high touch-point areas, with an additional disinfectant. In addition, soap dispensers and paper towel dispensers will be monitored closely to ensure children and staff can practice safe handwashing practices.
As we head into March Break, it is important that the recommendations from health agencies be given appropriate attention to support the ongoing health and well-being of staff and families. The Government of Canada issued the following update for travellers this week:
- Avoid all cruise ship travel;
- All returning international travellers should self-monitor themselves for COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, and difficulty breathing) for 14 days from the date of return to Canada, and should immediately contact their local public health unit if they fall ill or exhibit symptoms during that period;
- All travellers from Hubei Province in China or Iran should self-isolate for 14 days from the time they began their trip back to Canada.
Parents/guardians and participants should continue to monitor our site as well as the Hamilton Public Health web page (www.Hamilton.ca/public-health) for regular updates. Key information is provided on these sites to ensure consistent messaging regarding COVID-19.
Information regarding the following topics can be found at these sites:
- Future Travel
- Returning from Travel
- People who show symptoms
- Use of hand sanitizer
- No sharing practices related to food and drinks
- Use of Masks
- Heightened Concern & Anxiety
I thank you for your commitment to support the health and well-being of the children/volunteers that we serve and staff that deliver our programs.
Please keep in your thoughts and prayers those who have been impacted by this virus.
For more information or questions, please visit Hamilton Public Health Services: https://www.hamilton.ca/public-health/health-topics/novel-coronavirus-covid-19.
Additional resources include:
- Handwashing Procedures – http://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/jcyh-handwash
- Ontario Ministry of Health – https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus
- Public Health Agency of Canada – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisory – https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210
- Fact Sheet Covid-19 Self-monitor – https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/factsheet-covid-19-self-monitor.pdf
- Fact Sheet Covid-19 How to Self-isolate – https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/factsheet-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate.pdf
Catholic Youth Organization