Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Monday, September 7, 2020
We are open for business - Click to view the C.Y.O.’s COVID 19 POLICIES
Camp Brébeuf, Marydale Park and our Crusader Athletics program are all ready to serve you! On top of Athletic programs, summer camps and Outdoor Education for students, did you know that our facilities are also used by a wide range of professional and private groups year-round? It’s true! And this year, due to ongoing uncertainty with schools, we have calendar availability that would normally have been booked months ago! Are you looking to book a safe, responsible group gathering in a beautiful outdoor setting? We can help!
What can we do?
The short answer is ANYTHING! Have an idea you need help realizing? Reach out to us! Need a space for your one-time or regularly scheduled group meeting? Reach out to us! Have a question about our facilities and amenities? Reach out to us! Think there is no way your event can happen safely in the midst of the pandemic? Reach out to us!
Camp Brebeuf, 519-856-4671 or Marydale Park, 905-528-0011
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Thursday, June 18, 2020
The C.Y.O. has spent much time reflecting on the Ministry of Health’s document which would allow for the reopening of summer camps during the months of July and August.
After much discussion, it has been determined that C.Y.O. Camp Marydale will NOT be offering programs during the summer of 2020. We are heartbroken about this decision, please know it was not made lightly, but for a number of reasons, some of which include:
- Camp Marydale does not have the infrastructure required to meet the new Provincial Guidelines on indoor spaces for each cohort
- Camp Marydale did not receive any Canada Summer Jobs funding for the summer of 2020 to assist with staff salaries
- Camp Marydale does not have multiple washroom facilities, staffing or supplies to meet the new Provincial Guidelines
- Camp Marydale does not have separate spaces for cohorts to be picked up and dropped off as required by the new Provincial Guidelines
- Camp Marydale has been without income and full-time staff since mid-March 2020. As such, we do not have the funds required to purchase the new mandated PPE or Cleaning products, nor do we have the ability to hire the additional staff required for cleaning programming areas between uses, as required by the new Provincial Guidelines
Parents who had children registered for Camp Marydale are asked to check their emails for instructions on the cancellation process, or to reach out to Karen Hartnett-Stevens in the camp office 905-528-0011 ext. 0 for more details.
It is important to note that C.Y.O. Camp Brébeuf WILL operate day camp programs during August of 2020. Camp Brébeuf is able to operate as:
- Camp Brébeuf does have the proper infrastructure, including multiple buildings with road access for pick up & drop off, use of indoor space, as well as, washroom access separate for each cohort as required the new Provincial Guidelines
- Camp Brébeuf did receive the Canada Summer Jobs grant to assist with staffing
For information on how to register, please visit: www.campbrebeuf.ca
We appreciate any compassion you can show to our agency during this very difficult time.
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Tuesday, May 19, 2020
As we have just heard from the Premier of Ontario’s press conference today – May 19, 2020, overnight camps are NOT allowed to operate during the summer of 2020. We ask that all parents remain patient with us as we work through the cancellation process.
In regards to day camp, the C.Y.O. needs time to review what exactly the government’s restrictions are and how we can put them into place to operate our programs safely. We will update our members as soon as possible regarding the status of our day camp programs.
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Wednesday, May 13, 2020
As we continue to wait out this unprecedented time, our hopes and plans to operate summer camp continues, however, Government and Public Health authorities have not yet shared with the camping industry any protocols or recommendations. This has placed the C.Y.O. in the position to move forward with our next phase of planning for the summer of 2020.
After much discussion, it has been determined that C.Y.O. Camp Marydale & C.Y.O. Camp Brebeuf need time to prepare the facility, complete inspections (ie. Public Health Department), train our staff and implement new practices and/or protocols, as we prepare camp for the summer of 2020.
Keeping all of these timelines in mind, it would not be in the best interest of our campers or staffs safety, to facilitate Camp Marydale or Camp Brebeuf during the month of July 2020. As such, we will NOT OPERATE PROGRAMMING IN JULY and instead will shift our focus to preparations for the month of August 2020.
We ask that all parents registered for the month of July 2020 contact the appropriate camp office for more details and information!
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Monday, April 20, 2020
At the C.Y.O., participant and employee safety is always our main priority, and as we listen to all of the medical professional’s advice, we have to keep advisements on physical distancing at top of mind.
As we continue to wait out this unprecedented time, our hopes and plans to operate summer camp continues, however, some modifications have been put in place.
Camp Marydale has made the decision to:
- Limit the number of campers we take per week
- Not offer bus transportation for the summer of 2020
- Keep our pools closed for the season
Camp Brébeuf has made the decision to:
- Limit the number of campers we take per week
- Adjust & Split meal times
- Refrain from having joint activities between our day and overnight programs
The C.Y.O. continues to monitor what the Government and Public Health advises, we have also been working closely with the Ontario Camps Association to ensure we are following all best practices.
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Wednesday, March 25, 2020
As we continue to monitor the ongoing pandemic, we have determined that it is in the best interest of our families, schools, and user groups to cancel all Outdoor Education and C.Y.O. Crusader Athletics programs until Monday, June 1st, 2020. This includes the cancellation of all C.Y.O. Crusader Athletics Boys’ Volleyball (regular season & playoffs), as well as our spring Cross Country Meet.
Please note that this decision was not made lightly or easily, but placing the utmost importance on safety for our staff, participants, and their families.
The C.Y.O. is constantly keeping Public Health and Government recommendations top of mind and will update you with further information as we learn more about this virus. We are all looking forward to the day that we will see your smiling faces again!
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update – Friday, March 13, 2020
At the C.Y.O., the health and well-being of the children we serve is at the forefront of our mission. Out of an abundance of caution, and following the lead of the Ministry of Education and various public health officials, we have decided to cancel all C.Y.O. programs and events for the next three weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, our March Break camps at both Marydale Park and Camp Brébeuf are cancelled. All Outdoor Education and C.Y.O. Crusader Athletics events scheduled between Monday, March 16, 2020 and Sunday, April 5,2020 are cancelled. At this time we plan to resume all OE programming at Camp Brébeuf and Marydale Park on Monday, April 6, 2020. Further notice on the continuation of the Crusader Athletics Program will be communicated on or before Monday, April 6, 2020.
We will be in close, ongoing contact with families, schools, and user groups effected by these difficult decisions. We are grateful for the integral role that our agency plays in the life of our community, and we know that this may be a difficult time for many whom we serve. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to resuming services when we have a deeper understanding of the current situation.
Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update - Thursday, March 12, 2020
As you know, the World Health Organization has declared a pandemic with respect to the COVID-19. The Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O.) in consultation with Hamilton Public Health Services (PHS) are taking steps to respond to the COVID-19 virus as it evolves.
To help prevent the spread of all types of respiratory illnesses, including influenza, Public Health recommends:
- A yearly influenza vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies (for flu only);
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based sanitizer;
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze;
- Avoid touching your face, eyes or mouth;
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm; and,
- If you or your family members are ill, stay home.
The Catholic Youth Organization’s website (www.cyo.on.ca) contains up-to-date information regarding program and services affected by the COVID-19.
Part of the agency’s plan at this stage includes to:
- Monitor public health authorities’ websites (local, provincial and national public health) for reliable information on the virus, the local status of the virus, and measures to keep yourself and others safe
- Connect with local health authorities for more information on pandemic planning, and update any agency pandemic or disaster plans and policies accordingly
- Emphasizing systematic hand-washing as the most effective method for prevention as directed by public health officials
Should the outlook become much more severe, and if we begin seeing systematic absenteeism within the programs and services that we offer, we may need to reassess. If the matter reaches a stage where agency volunteers/staffing is depleted and essential services are compromised, we may need to suspend programs and services.
C.Y.O. staff have increased its cleaning and sterilization procedures. There has been an increased focus on the cleaning of high touch-point areas, with an additional disinfectant. In addition, soap dispensers and paper towel dispensers will be monitored closely to ensure children and staff can practice safe handwashing practices.
As we head into March Break, it is important that the recommendations from health agencies be given appropriate attention to support the ongoing health and well-being of staff and families. The Government of Canada issued the following update for travellers this week:
- Avoid all cruise ship travel;
- All returning international travellers should self-monitor themselves for COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, and difficulty breathing) for 14 days from the date of return to Canada, and should immediately contact their local public health unit if they fall ill or exhibit symptoms during that period;
- All travellers from Hubei Province in China or Iran should self-isolate for 14 days from the time they began their trip back to Canada.
Parents/guardians and participants should continue to monitor our site as well as the Hamilton Public Health web page (www.Hamilton.ca/public-health) for regular updates. Key information is provided on these sites to ensure consistent messaging regarding COVID-19.
Information regarding the following topics can be found at these sites:
- Future Travel
- Returning from Travel
- People who show symptoms
- Use of hand sanitizer
- No sharing practices related to food and drinks
- Use of Masks
- Heightened Concern & Anxiety
I thank you for your commitment to support the health and well-being of the children/volunteers that we serve and staff that deliver our programs.
Please keep in your thoughts and prayers those who have been impacted by this virus.
For more information or questions, please visit Hamilton Public Health Services: https://www.hamilton.ca/public-health/health-topics/novel-coronavirus-covid-19.
Additional resources include:
- Handwashing Procedures – http://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/jcyh-handwash
- Ontario Ministry of Health – https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus
- Public Health Agency of Canada – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisory – https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210
- Fact Sheet Covid-19 Self-monitor – https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/factsheet-covid-19-self-monitor.pdf
- Fact Sheet Covid-19 How to Self-isolate – https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/factsheet-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate.pdf
Catholic Youth Organization